Nayati kidnap mastermind slips police dragnet
KUALA LUMPUR, May 9 — The mastermind behind the sensational abduction of 12-year-old Nayati Shamelin Moodliar had fled the country immediately after the Dutch boy was released last week.
Federal CID chief Datuk Seri Bakri Zinin said Malaysian police were now seeking the help of Interpol to track down the man.
He confirmed today that five suspects — four men and a woman — has so far been arrested in connection with the abduction.
The suspects were picked up during separate police operations in Perak and Selangor between Sunday and early this morning.
It is understood that the police have also recovered more than RM100,000, believed to be part of the ransom money paid by Nayati’s family to secure his release.
The exact ransom amount remains undisclosed.
A special team from Bukit Aman also seized a laptop computer and a mobile phone that was used to communicate the kidnappers’ ransom demands for the Dutch boy.
Nayati was abducted in front of Mont Kiara International School here two weeks ago.
He was released last Thursday in Rawang, after the family paid the ransom.
The case had captured public imagination with posters of the boy appearing across the Klang Valley in various languages.
It was reported that Nayati, who was still in his school uniform, was abducted by two men in a black car on a short distance from his school.
The men were said to have grabbed the boy while he was walking to school, bundled him into the car and sped off.
It was later reported that the kidnappers had used social networking site Facebook to contact and negotiate with the parents.